Most important point which I missed in my initial post - I was assigned to crew for Lisa Tamati (www.lisatamati.co.nz) for La Ultra.
Lisa is a very very accomplished ultra runner, putting it very very midly :-). Some of her achievements -
- A multiple time Badwater finisher.
- Completed many 250 kms desert races including Marathon Des Sables, Gobi and Sahara races (part of the 4 desert races).
- Ran Trans 333 through the Niger desert - a distance of 333 kms.
- Ran the length of New Zealand from Bluff to Cape Reinga covering approx 2,200km in 43 days.
- Voted the New Zealand Maori sportswoman of the year 2008.
Some stuff which we'll never even think of doing in a lifetime!
But the interactions did peter out and hadn't had much communication with her for a month before the race, so as I was travelling to Leh, was hoping that I'm a part of her crew.
To an outside looking at the races Lisa has completed, distances covered in extreme climates, La Ultra looks achievable but by no means easy.
But I was naive, so naive...